The parish of Newborough was formed out of the parish of Eye in 1812. Building work began on the church in 1823 and was completed in 1830. The work was financed by the sale of part of the Borough Fen Estate at the time of the enclosures in 1822. As the land on which it was built was already owned by the church, the royal coat of arms is displayed inside, high on the arched wall above the entrance to the sanctuary.
St Bartholomew is a saint associated with Crowland Abbey